Welcome to the Quilt Quazy Queens blog hop day #2.
This year’s theme is UFO’s….
Of course I don’t mean that kind of UFO. I’m talking about what’s hiding in your closet.
Those Unfinished Fabric Objects. Eeeeek!!!
- - - - - - - -
I group UFO’s into three catagories…Which one are you?
- - - - - - -
#1 The “Serial Topper”
You work full speed ahead, get the top done, then poof, nothing. THAT’S ME!
My Tips: The only thing that works for me is to create deadlines with people that I don’t want to let down. I like to join groups like Hands2Help and Quilts for Kids Charities. That gets the quilt finished and somebody to give it to all in one swoop.
#2 The “Kit Collector”
You love the challenge of hunting for those row by rows, enjoy collecting those block of the months, and are drawn to the pretty packaging of pre-cut kits. You buy them but then they sit in the closet without a plan.
My Tips: Step back and figure out why you purchased them in the first place. Is it something you still want to make? Is there a real plan for it in the future? If not, pass it on to a guild member, sewing bee friend, or sell/ swap them online to somebody that might enjoy finishing the project.
#3 The “Orphan Keeper”
You need to give all single blocks a loving home. You stow away quilt leftovers, swap blocks, test samples, technique samples, and grab lonely blocks off the guild freebie table.
My Tips: This is a GREAT category to be in! Plan some fun time every once in while. Play “outside the box” and use your imagination. An “orphan block” can become almost anything and, hey, you’re halfway done sewing before you even start!!!
Turn an “orphan block” into a kennel quilt for the The Quilt Pattern Magazine Small Kennel Quilt Team. Free pattern from Nan Baker.
Turn an “orphan block” into a quick gift like pot holders, mug rugs, fabric post card, or name tag. The Patchwork Posse blog has 50 quick ideas.
Make a table topper or wall hanging from an “orphan block”. Play with some fun borders or add some simple “slap happy” borders for a quick finish.
Butterfly pattern can be found HERE
Don’t be afraid to pull a bunch of random blocks together for a sampler quilt and unify them with dark colored borders.
Sooo many ideas to put those “orphan blocks” to good use.
What’s your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO sat around for 24 years. It moved with us not once, not twice, but three times. In 2012 I finally slapped some bright borders on the applique panel and called it finished.
Give Aways Sponsored by Seams To Be Sew
Aurifil March 16 to March 19, 2018 - Shipping Is International
Aurifil Grunge 10 Spools 50wt - 50.00
The FatQuarter Shop March 15 - 22, 2018
150.00 Gift Certificate
Giveaway Guidelines are as follows:
Please take the time to read them.
- Rules and guidelines are also listed on the Rafflecopter window of each blog.
Giveaways offered by sponsors are assigned to the various bloggers for their featured day.
- There are no prior announcements on who is doing which sponsor except to the sponsor themselves.
- You’ll have to visit the blog or the featured blog to enter the giveaways.
- All giveaways can also be entered at Seams To Be Sew. You must have commented at each of the blogs priot to entering at Seams To Be Sew, Winners who win from entering at Seams To Be Sew will be checked for the comment. When you enter at Seams To Be Sew, you need to enter the name of the blog you are entering for. You can only create one entry at this site for one of the featured blogs of the day.
- I will start announcing winners on March 15, 2018, and finish announcing winners on March 22, 2018.
- In most cases, the blog where you won at also will announce their winners.
- You must give a valid email address when you enter the giveaways, any email returned to me, loses the ability to win automatically.
- With the exception of The Fat Quartershop and Aurifil, all giveaways run for approximately one day.
- You are given 3 days to answer the email, if you do not answer within 3 days a new winner will be drawn. Check those spam/junk mail folders, you may miss that winning email if you don’t do so because there are no exceptions to this rule.
- If you are notified that you are a winner, in all cases except for the Fat Quartershop winner, you will need to provide your name, address, city, state, zip code, country, telephone number, and email address.
- In all cases except the Fat Quartershop, you will be asked to comment on the blog to enter the giveaway… do the right thing and thank them for the time it took to post and participate…
- Thank the sponsor by buying their products for the giveaways. This helps them continue to offer great prizes for these types of events. You can also comment on their social media pages. Even if you don’t win, letting them know you love their products is a huge incentive and they really do love hearing from you.
- No purchase whatsoever is necessary.
- You must be 18+ in order to win a gift.
- You are responsible for claiming and paying any tax owed on the value of any gift that you win. Prizes valued at $500.00 should be claimed.
- All winners are chosen at random.
- All winners will be announced on the blogs via the Rafflecopter entry form and/or post by the blogger at the site where they won and here at Seams To Be Sew. All winners must allow for their first name and first initial of their last name to be announced on this blog.
- Odds of Winning a prize are based on a total number of rafflecopter entries during each week and in total for all giveaways.
- This giveaway is void where prohibited by law.
- Participating bloggers may enter any of the giveaways.
- The word giveaways in the rules and guidelines are also known as sweepstakes.
- I am not rich and I do not ask sponsors for money, they provide prizes only.
- If they shipped the prize to me, you will be asked to pay for shipping.
- All giveaways will be shipped that are in my home within 72 hours of my having heard from you.
- An invoice will be sent to you via Paypal, and shipping will take place via Paypal, so your Paypal email will be needed to send the invoice. You will receive a tracking number except for overseas shipments. All shipping will either be at priority mail rates this year (due to weight of gifts, none of the giveaways are less than 14 ounces. Paypal fees are added to that amount to cover that fee.
- Please note, every effort is made to protect the prizes. They go into a plastic bin when I receive them, and it is covered by an airtight cover. I have a dog in my home and I have a smoker in my home, so I do everything possible to protect the prizes.
- Most companies are very good about getting prizes off to customers quickly also, but some companies are overseas, so please allow all sponsors a 2-week time period before you report to me that you still haven’t received your prize. When the company is overseas, it can take 6 weeks to 90 days for an item to also arrive.
- Whether or not you read the above, the rules for giveaways are in place to protect everyone. I do not want to hear you didn’t read them, they will be posted on my blog daily during each featured day. There is no excuse for not reading them.
Give Away From FunThreads Designs
Open to USA residents only
UFO Autographed by Eleanor Burns….
(1) wall hanging kit and (1) Quilt Blocks on American Barns book - both autographed
(pattern for finishing the project is in the book)
This is a previously owned item and will not be autographed to you directly (see photo below).
Terms and Rules for FunThreads Designs give away.
- Open to USA residents ONLY.
- No purchase necessary.
- You must be 18 or older to enter.
- While we hope you will leave a comment on the post of the day because we love comments, we want no reply bloggers to have a chance at winning also. Rafflecopter will collect your name, location, and email.
- (1) wall hanging kit and (1) Quilts on American Barns book both autographed by Eleanor Burns will be given away to one winner. These are previously owned items and will not be autographed to you personally.
- Winner picked at random via Rafflecopter at the end of the day on March 19th. Winner will receive notification via email. Winner will have approximately 5 days to claim their gift, if 5 days passes, the gift will be offered to another eligible entrant. Winner who will receive a shipped item will need to provide name, address, city, state. All prizes will be awarded.
- Winner will be announced on this blog and in the Rafflecopter window here on this page.Winner agrees to allow their name, city, state to be publicized.
- Odds of Winning a prize are based on total number of rafflecopter entries.
- You are responsible for claiming and paying any tax owed on the value of any gift that you win where applicable.Some restrictions on gifts will apply based on shipping policies.This sweepstakes is void where prohibited by law.
Thursday, March 15