Don’t be afraid to use zippers. Adding a fabric flap to the back of your pillow to hide the zipper is fast and easy to do.
I like to use a zipper that’s longer than needed and trim it at the end.
1. Measure and cut two pieces of fabric that are the same size as the pillow front. Fold these in half with the right sides facing out and press.
2. Cut another piece of fabric 3 1/2” x the width of the pillow front. Fold this in half with right side facing out and press. This is the flap that will hide the zipper.
3. Attach the zipper along the fabric fold, press it out, and topstitch neatly.
4. The other side will have the flap layered between the zipper and back fabric.
Sew all the layers together.
Press the back fabric up and away from the flap. Top stich just above the flap.
Here is a peek under the flap.
5. Important - Open the zipper halfway before sewing around the pillow.
Place the pillow front and back with right sides together. Pin the ends of the open zipper close together. Sew all the way around. Trim off the extra zipper.
Here’s the bed all set for my best friend who will be arriving today.
There are lots of great classes at Craftsy. It’s never too late to learn new tricks. If you want to learn more about zippers check out Mastering Zipper Techniques by Sunni Standing. That’s the one I took:)
Have a wonderful day everyone!!