Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Batting Experiments 2 of 3

Experiment #2

The problem:
I was having trouble getting my batting to stay flat and smooth while basting my quilt layers together. I read online that you could run the batting through the dryer to remove the wrinkles. Really? Have you heard of this? It’s not on the packaging.

The process:
I gave it a try with 4 different batting samples.

The constants:
1. All batting samples were tossed in the dryer at the same time.
2.They ran on low heat for 5 minutes together.

The variable:
4 different brands of batting were used - Hobbs Poly Down, Quilter’s Dream Request Poly, Warm and White Cotton, Quilter’s Dream Request Cotton.

The results:

Hobbs Poly Down (before)– This was the craziest batting right out of the package. It had a mind of it’s own and was very stiff.

IMG_0687

Hobbs Poly Down (after)– Very faint hint of the deepest creases can be seen afterward. Just look how soft and fluffy this turned out.

IMG_0697

Quilter’s Dream Request Poly (before) – Not too bad right out of the package. Almost all the wrinkles and creases disappeared after I smoothed it by hand. I would probably use this one right out of the package without any further treatment.

IMG_0689

Quilter’s Dream Request Poly (after) – This one did the best. It had no visible crease marks remaining afterwards.

IMG_0699

Warm and White Cotton (before) – Lots of deep wrinkles and creases from the packaging that couldn’t be smoothed out by hand.

IMG_0694

Warm and White Cotton (after) – You can barely see the deepest crease location at the bottom afterwards.

IMG_0701

Quilter’s Dream Request Cotton (before) – Very few creases right out of the package. All the small wrinkles disappeared after smoothing it out with my hand.

IMG_0695

Quilter’s Dream Request Cotton (after) – Very faint hint of the deepest crease was left. It was so minimal that it couldn’t be seen in the photo.

IMG_0698

My conclusion:

Running the batting through the dryer on low heat for approx. 5 minutes removes virtually all wrinkles and creases. It makes a huge difference. Why would I want to start my quilting process with wrinkles and creases already there? I have a difficult time basting and quilting as it is. Funny, none of the packaging even mentions this step. Hmmm. I LOVE Google!

Hope this helps somebody with their quilting. Stay tuned to another batty batting experiment.

 

You can find
experiment 1 HERE
experiment 3 HERE


8 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow! Thanks for that! I usually buy my batting off the roll but it still gets folded at the store and kept here until I need it so foldlines are inevitable!

gill said...

I've never heard of this before but I'll certainly be trying it!
Thanks!

Judy said...

Thank you so much for this Carol! I hate those wrinkles! I will do this in the future.

Dolores said...

I love your experiments! This tip is really handy as I have never heard of this, really it makes sense doesn't it!

I have a question for you - would you say Quilters Dream battings are better than Warm & White? I only use Cotton so I'm interested to know which is the better of the two or whether they are as good as each other. On a long term basis of washing & drying have you noticed whether either of these battings shifted?

Thanks for your help!

Dolores said...

I love your experiments! This tip is really handy as I have never heard of this, really it makes sense doesn't it!

I have a question for you - would you say Quilters Dream battings are better than Warm & White? I only use Cotton so I'm interested to know which is the better of the two or whether they are as good as each other. On a long term basis of washing & drying have you noticed whether either of these battings shifted?

Thanks for your help!

LynCC said...

Thanks for sharing all your batting experiments!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I'll be trying this out - thanks to you and google!
:) I hope i have as much success as you did.

Anonymous said...

I, too, had some horrible Hobbs batting that looked just like yours. After smoothing it out on the floor for 3 days, it still didn't really fix it. So I tried the dryer method with a damp wash cloth. My results were not as dramatic as yours, but still an improvement. This is a customer quilt, but I would never buy Hobbs myself! Thank you for documenting your experiment - it really helped!!